Brookline Music School is committed to ensuring that each student has a positive musical experience.
Our faculty is composed of experienced, diversely talented teaching artists, many of whom maintain active performing careers. All are committed to providing engaging and personalized musical mentorship for each student.
A good student-teacher relationship is essential to a positive and productive music learning experience. At Brookline Music School, students are placed with a teacher based upon learning style, experience, and musical interests to ensure that each student receives the best personalized instruction.
In addition, private lesson students have the opportunity to perform in recitals and salons as well as participate in exclusive departmental events, Dynamic Duos, evaluations, workshops, and masterclasses. Private lessons also include written progress reports from faculty and end-of-year parent/teacher phone conferences.
Students at BMS are part of a vibrant musical community, offering rich musical experiences, including:
• Performance Opportunities: Students enrolled in private lessons participate in regular school-wide and studio recitals, as well as themed recitals centered around a composer or style, with staff accompanists provided at no additional cost.
• Workshops & Master Classes: Workshops, guest master classes, and other special events, including honors evaluations and festivals, are organized throughout the school year by department.
• Dynamic Duos: This program matches students enrolled in lessons with a partner for a collaborative performance project and special concert each spring at no additional cost.
• Teen & Adult Salons: Salons are informal, students-only events, twice per semester, for supportive and informal sharing and discussion of works-in-progress.
• Discount on Ensembles & Classes: Students enrolled in a full semester of private lessons receive discounted tuition on performing ensembles and other group classes, such as music theory.
Our main location is conveniently located off of Route 9 at 25 Kennard Road, Brookline, MA (on the campus of Lincoln Elementary School). Brookline Music School also offers lessons at Brookline High School, Driscoll School, Lawrence School, Lincoln School, Pierce School, Runkle School, and Heath School.
The ability to make music education available to everyone in the community has always been of great importance to Brookline Music School. A scholarship program, funded primarily by the School’s Annual Appeal, provides tuition assistance to students who are in need of financial support.
Please visit the Tuition Assistance page for more information.
Brookline Music School is open year-round, and students may continue private instruction throughout summer with flexible scheduling. Students may also select from a variety of summer classes and workshops.
Brookline Music School offers private instruction seven days a week. Individual lesson times depend on teacher availability. Brookline Music School follows the Public Schools of Brookline for closures. Term I starts in September and continues for 16 weeks through January. Term II starts in February and continues for 16 weeks through June. Students are welcome to start mid-semester (depending on availability) with a pro-rated tuition. Summer lessons (July & August) are à la carte. More info available at Academic Calendars